Thursday, October 10, 2019

Wonders

I wonder what it was like when the man born with eyes dark from birth suddenly had those unseeing eyes filled with light. (John 9)  It must have been an astounding moment of visual overload.  There was so much to see all at once.  I wonder if a lifetime of darkness sharpened his ability to see enabling him to see more than other men, or if, he like some of the rest of the seeing world, learned to live without really seeing what is out there to see.
 
One of the things for which I have become grateful in these last years is the way I am learning to see the wonders of the world.  Long ago I learned that there were Seven Wonders of the World.  But, it was false learning.  There are more than seven.  Maybe there are thousands.  Or, tens of thousands.  Or, a million.  No, most assuredly more.  I have been blessed by having the opportunity to see some of these wonders of the world that I had not seen in the years when I was seeing but was blind.  Some days I am blessed with my own version of visual overload although there are still too many days when I walk midst the wonder without the awe.

These wonders to see have been surprising.  Some of these wonders are a young hen's first egg, deep green grass waiting for its conversion to hay, a large fox squirrel scurrying up the tree, an owl revealing itself in the late afternoon shade, rain racing across an open field, a laughing boy catching falling sycamore leaves as they journey to the ground, grandchildren running across the top of lined up round hay bales, an annual stopover of a Baltimore Oriole, a fallen limb that spoke about mortality, and foliage filled tress catching the unseen wind.  There is so much to see in this creation the Creator has put together.  Seeing with eyes that see is the greatest of blessings.

No comments: