Saturday, October 12, 2019

Cows at the Gate

A recent farm chore was moving the round hay bales from the places where the baler spit them out in the field to the area next to the tractor shelter where they are kept in rows as they wait for the day they go to the cows in the pasture.  As I moved them in line, I had an audience.  The cows in the pasture hovered together near the gate fussing and carrying on as if to say I should be taking them a bale to eat.  It did not matter that two bales were behind them in the pasture.  They were hollering for more.
 
It sounds almost human.  They do not understand that I can be trusted to work ahead and prepare for their needs in the future.  I even have sacks of winter grazing seed to sow as a supplement to their winter feed.  They could save themselves a lot of apparent fretting if they could just trust me to take care of them.   All of a sudden it was as if God hit me upside the head and said, "Now you get it.  It is what I do." 

It is always easy for us to worry instead of trust.  Worrying seems to be our default response to anything that looms on the horizon as difficult or uncertain.  I have spent my time at the gate hollering at the One who has already told me He would take care of whatever was ahead.  Many times I have received the assurance from Him that He is working ahead and preparing for my needs in the future.  I seem to be slower at getting it than those cows bellowing at the gate!

No comments: