Friday, September 13, 2019

Required for the Journey

When I left home for college, I figured I had things figured out.  All the things concerning my young faith seemed nailed down.  Right was right and wrong was wrong.  By the time I arrived at Asbury College for my junior year, everything thing I thought I knew was saturated with doubt.  So much of what was nailed down had come loose and I joined the ranks of the skeptics who lived to pry loose what was nailed down in the lives of others.

I had more questions that I had answers.  What I have realized in these recent years when it might seem that I would have everything figured out is the reality that I have still have more questions than answers.  The difference now and then is that back then the questions created doubt and now they point me to Mystery.  How I came to a place where I thought I could figure everything out about matters pertaining to faith in Christ may be a great mystery, but an even greater Mystery is the One which stands before me each day in this journey of faith. 
 
Every day we walk with Christ, we walk enveloped in this holy Mystery of divine presence.  What is normal is not having everything figured out.  It is certainly nothing to be feared.  How can it be any other way?  What we know about God our Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit will always be less than what can be known.  We live not in a world of knowing, but in a world of unknowing.  It can be no other way.  It is no wonder that faith is required for this journey of going with Christ. 

No comments: