Monday, September 16, 2019

Religious Sham

The story about the Lord God's walk in the Garden during the time of the evening breeze (Genesis 3:8) reveals much about the inner nature of all of us.  What we hear coming from the mouths of Adam and Eve in that moment is not a surprise for we have heard such words coming out of our own mouth.  Owning up to who we are really are, acknowledging the disobedient headstrong spirit within us, and claiming for ourselves the things we do wrong is not the first choice of anyone of us who is ego driven.
 
As we listen to the Garden of Eden couple, it is like standing aside from ourselves and listening to what we might say.  When confronted with the wrong committed against the intended will of the Lord God, Adam first of all blamed God for giving him the woman and then blamed the woman who gave him the fruit.  ""The woman You gave to be with me, she gave me fruit from the tree, and I ate."  (Genesis 3:12)  And when the attention was turned on the woman, she said, "The serpent tricked me, and I ate."  (Genesis 3:13) 
 
Isn't it just like someone like you and me to put the blame for our own wrongdoing anywhere but upon ourselves?  If there is a scapegoat, we will find it and if there is not one, we will create one.  What is generally our first reaction to any awareness of sin in our life is not exactly like what we hear in the prayer of David when he cried out, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your steadfast love;...For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.  Against You, You alone, have I sinned, and done what is evil in Your sight..."  (Psalm 51:1, 3-4)  Before there can be any forgiveness of sin, there must be ownership of the sin.  Otherwise, asking for mercy is mere religious sham that counts for nothing. 

No comments: