Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Blessing of Mercy

For so many years daylight disappeared into darkness while I was inside a building tending to the needs of some church committee.  Certainly, it did not happen every night, but too many for sure.  Regardless, of how many times it actually happened, these years of retirement have afforded me what seems to be the daily privilege of being out in those moments of change.  As the light fades and darkness takes hold there are end of the day chores to do.  Things like checking on the chickens, making sure the cows have water, and housing equipment always seem out there as things to do. 
 
As I walked from one chore to another, I found myself humming a song I remembered from my days at evening chapel during the Young Harris College years.  "Day is dying in the west...." it begins and then the chorus comes with, "Holy, holy, holy.  Lord God of hosts! Heaven and earth are full of Thee, heaven and earth are praising Thee, O Lord most high."  As I walked remembering and singing, it did indeed become a holy moment.  And I joined with the creation all around me in praise to the One who brought us into being. 
 
What I have learned about the Celtic spirituality tradition lifts up their idea that moments of change such as the moment day gives way to night are threshold moments when the veil is thin between heaven and earth.  The more I walk in those moments, the more it seems that they surely discovered something long ago that I am only now beginning to understand.  Every moment has within it the possibility of becoming a holy moment.  There have been too many years when I missed it and how thankful I am for the blessing of mercy that has granted me time to see. 

No comments: