Saturday, June 1, 2019

Experiencing the Wind

With the work finally done, I found a Gatorade in the ice chest and a chair on the front porch.  The breeze I had been looking for the whole time I was cutting grass finally showed up.  I watched it touch the pecan trees across the way.  It was not something I had not seen on other days.  One of the things I have become since retiring is a watcher.  I have learned to watch things, to pay attention to things never seen in my working years.  As I watched the wind touching the trees, I realized something new.  Every tree experiences the wind differently.
 
While one was filled with swaying branches, its neighbor hardly moved.  Some were moving a lot as if the wind was filling them up and others were hardly moving at all.  Was it because of where they were growing?  Did it have anything to do with the roots set in the ground?  Or, maybe the explanation can be found in different limb and branch structure.  I never really came to a satisfactory answer to my question.  All I noticed with certainty was that every tree, though bearing the same name, was different and every one seem to experience the wind differently. 
 
Sometimes I sense that God is sending messages through the creation.  And, if He does, then I must confess to having spent most of my life not listening.  But, lately, in this season of paying attention, things are seen and heard in different ways.  I am slowly discovery that God does reveal Himself through the creation around us.  I am also learning to hear a Voice which has often been missed.  As are those trees, so are we.  Each one of us is different and each one of us experiences the holy wind of the Spirit differently. 

No comments: