Monday, June 17, 2019

A Speck in a Thimble

As I pushed those post hole diggers into what I hoped was the bottom of the hole and the salty taste of sweat ran in the corners of my dry mouth, I heard the strong sure sound of wind touching the tops of the nearby trees.  And almost instantly the cool unexpected breeze came over my body as surely as if I had been doused with cold waters from deep in the earth.   From whence the wind came I knew not.  How it came I had no idea.  But, suddenly it was present and everything about the moment was different. 
 
Such moments never come anymore without the sense that so comes the Holy Spirit in my life, across my path, and filling all the spaces around me and within me.  As I stood for a moment aware of the cool wind and the growing sense of God's Spirit, I could not help but breathe a quiet and simple prayer of thanksgiving for the blessing of the wind in the trees and the Wind of the Spirit.  Such moments awaken both the physical senses as well as the spiritual senses which stir within the soul.
 
There was a time when it seemed that I had a fair enough understanding of God in our world and how He works in the midst of us.  For a life time I have written sermons and preached about such a thing from one pulpit after another.  But, in this season of my life, it is not how much I know that grips me, but how much there is still to know.  What I know about God would hardly make a speck in a thimble as I think about all that there is still to know.  There is surely more to know than I will have years left to learn, but maybe what evades me as I walk this earth will be seen more clearly on the roads of eternity.  "Come, keep coming, Holy Wind.  Keep washing over me."

No comments: