Thursday, May 30, 2019

Very Dry and Very Hot

These days have been unbearably hot.  One hundred and more degrees of temperature is rough to handle.  And, as is often the case, the unbearable heat has been accompanied by a lack of rain that has caused blueberries to dry like peas on the bush.   Late in the afternoon while the sun was close to disappearing, I felt something hit my arm.  And, then something else hit my neck.  It was wet.  It was rain drops which caused me to look upward at what looked like a barren sky.  Finally, my wishing and praying and dancing squeezed enough out of the clouds that it actually rained enough to see. 

I do not say lightly that I have been praying for rain.  When those drops hit my arm, my first words were, "Thank You, Lord.  Send more.  Let these drops prime the pump for the water we need."  Out here on a farm, rain is not an inconvenience.  It is not something to be wished away because it is Saturday.  Rain is a necessity.  Our blueberries hanging on the bush will never make a sweet harvest without it.  The grass in the field growing for winter hay will be shortstacked this fall if rain does not come.  Some farmers may lose row crops recently planted, or have to take cows to market before they are ready.  The pecan trees which show promise of the first good harvest in several years will once again have a diminished and low quality crop if they suffer too long in this dry heat.

So, I confess to praying for rain.  I am sure others look toward the heavens and make similar hopeful offerings as well.  But, the promise of rain felt today was soon only a memory that gave birth to hope for tomorrow.  Today my prayers were not answered with life giving rain.  What has dared to fall will soon dry up in the overnight heat.  What shall I do?  I will keep praying.  I will keep persisting in my praying.  It is what people have always done when they faced need and God seemed slow to respond. I will keep praying for rain and when it comes, I will be first in line dancing for joy and giving thanks.

No comments: