Sunday, November 4, 2018

The Overcomer

A friend whom I have known almost as long as the adult years of my life was way back in the beginning more of an acquaintance and colleague in ministry than the valued friend he has become in these later years.  While we were both pastoring churches in Columbus, Georgia, Jim was shot and lingered between life and death for several days.  In his recent book "Afterlife; a Personal Journey," Dr. Jim Jackson wrote of a near death experience.  "I was lifted away from my body, so that I could literally see the surgical team at work on me.  I felt myself being pulled away, through a long tunnel, and eventually into the presence of a radiant light.  I heard no sound and saw no faces.  There was only a warm, glowing light that filled the space."
 
Of course, my friend is not the first to bear witness to a light in the darkness beyond death.  As we reflect on the Word of God and the life of Jesus, it should be no surprise that an unexplainable and powerful light would penetrate the darkness we know as death.  Early in the Prologue of John's gospel we read about the Word (Jesus), "What has come into being in Him was life, and the life was the light of all people.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it." (John 1:5)  Later on in his gospel the writer enables us to hear Jesus saying, "I am the light of the world." (John 8:12)  There is no doubt as to the origin of this light which darkness always fails to overcome.
 
As we read the gospel written by this Apostle, we are caused to see the ongoing struggle between light and darkness, good and evil.  While the victory has been secured through the cross and the empty tomb, neither darkness or evil has disappeared.  It continues to show itself and wreak havoc in the lives of people like you and me.  But, the truth to which my friend bears witness and the truth to which the Word points us is that the darkness was overcome in Christ, continues to be overcome in Christ, and will be overcome in Christ, even in the midst of death itself. 

No comments: