Friday, November 16, 2018

The Good Exercise

When I was a boy learning to pray, my regular time of prayer was bedtime.  In the beginning I remember my mother coming and praying with me.  After a time it became such a habit that I started praying at bedtime even though she was not present.  My early praying was done on my knees.  Before getting into bed I would kneel beside it and pray my prayers.  I am grateful for that early beginning and grateful, too, for a church tradition that had altars.  Altars are for kneeling.  Kneeling is good exercise for the soul.
 
Of course, kneeling in prayer is something we do not do so often as adults.  Most of my praying these days is done while sitting instead of kneeling.  Maybe kneeling would make for better praying.  The posture of kneeling is an act that reminds us of who we are and Who is hearing our prayers. There is no place else in our culture where we are encouraged or invited to kneel.  Certainly, there is no other man or woman to whom we would even consider kneeling.  Kneeling is an act of submission.  It is an act that declares that someone else has the authority over us.  It is unfortunate that kneeling has become an anachronism. 
 
I am of that old school that still believes a church is its strongest when its people are on their knees.  We spend too much time in meetings and not enough in praying.  Our obsession with meetings is surely an indicator of who we perceive to be in charge of the church.  It is easy to give lip service to the idea that Christ is the head of the church, but another matter entirely to submit to Him as the One who has the final word.  Perhaps, more times set aside for kneeling would be a healthy discipline for the church as well as for our souls. 

No comments: