Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Words to Live By

Back when I was a green preacher and assigned to the Stapleton Charge in Jefferson County, I would occasionally listen to a religious spot provided by the local radio station in Louisville.  It came on around 11 pm and featured a preacher whose name I have long ago forgotten.  Neither do I remember his denomination.  What I do remember is that he called his daily program, "Words to Live By" sometimes they seemed more like "Words to Die By" because they were so full of words about God's wrath and judgment.  His word seldom encouraged sleep.
 
However, today as I was doing some reading, I came across some real "Words to Live By."  The 11th verse of the 40th Psalm reads, "Do not, O Lord, withhold your mercy from me; let Your steadfast love and Your faithfulness keep me safe forever."  All day long I have lived by these words as they have been carried around in my mind and heart.  They were easy enough to memorize and throughout the day I found myself going back to them, repeating the words, and offering them as a ongoing prayer as I moved about in the day.
 
More than anything else I was struck by the last few Words which read, "...keep me safe forever."  As one who had recently prayed to be kept safe through a bad storm, I quickly realized this prayer was one that impacted a part of my life which was much greater than a single night and a single storm.  Forever is a long time.  Forever includes all the storms which might be unseen over the edge of the horizon.  The Psalmist first offered this prayer to God.  It is a prayer inside the will of the Father, otherwise, it would not be in the Word.  It is a prayer I am going to continue carrying around with me.  Maybe you might like to do it, too. 

No comments: