Tuesday, October 30, 2018

First Words

As I start reading John's gospel, I find myself wondering why it was that he made no mention of the Holy Spirit in those first few words he wrote.  It seems that he missed a real opportunity to write a word about the Trinity, but he went another way as he wrote,   "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."  (John 1:1)   About all that is left is speculating and guessing which is always a dangerous thing to do.  Many a heresy, or false teaching, has been pushed because someone thought they could figure out what God was really thinking.

What we do have in those first few words is a word about a relationship.  It gets complicated.  To be honest is to confess how difficult it is for us to get our minds wrapped around the idea that there is one God and, yet, the Jesus who came into the world was "In the beginning...with God...and was God."  What the Apostle is pointing us toward means considering what can be thought of as "separate, but in inseparable."  There is one God, but we speak of Him as we speak of Jesus and as we speak of Him as the Father God.  The Word (Jesus) and God are separate, but still inseparable.

I cannot begin to call myself figuring it out.  I know what the Word of God which was written by men under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit is proclaiming, but it sometimes can only be understood as mystery.  There are things about God I believe.  My life is built on those beliefs.  My hope is built on those beliefs.  But, to believe in God, to trust in Jesus, and to be convinced that the Holy Spirit brings divine presence into my life is for me filled with mystery.  It brings me to the Holy.  I believe, but it is not because I understand.  "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  (Hebrews 11:1)

No comments: