Thursday, October 18, 2018

Not Through Yet

One of the things we like least about our life is change.  We like for things to be like they have been, like they are supposed to be, and like we want them to be.  And, if the truth is told, we like our people, the ones around us, the ones important to us, to be the same way.  The problem is that none of the things and none of the people in our lives stay the same.  Each is afflicted with change. 
 
But, of course, change is not just something which comes upon the things external.  Change takes place inside of us as well.  So often we do not really see it happening.  We grow accustomed to seeing ourselves a certain way, we become comfortable with what we think, and we figure we have arrived.  But, even the things about us which we perceive to be nailed down can come loose, or maybe,  pulled loose. 
 
It even happens with something which is thought to be poured in concrete, things like the way we see ourselves in our faith journey.  As I reflect on my journey from the symbol filled interior of the church to the interior of the sun lit canopy of the sky, I have become aware of the way God is seen through windows that have never before been opened.  So many things about being so close to the earth have shaped my spirit, the way I experience God being present, the way I pray and worship.  I never expected so much change to take place in these last years.  I guess it is just one more indication that God never really gets through with us. 

No comments: