Saturday, July 14, 2018

Water Questions

While I received my degree from Candler School of Theology, I started seminary at Asbury Theological Seminary.  One of my Asbury professors was Dr. Robert Traina, author of a book entitled "Methodical Bible Study."  His class was my first serious study of the Bible.  What he taught us to do was to read the Bible with a notebook in which we were to write down questions as we read.  No question was too insignificant.  We were not supposed to answer the questions.  Our instructions were to write them.  His class became a way of life for me.  I do not write page after page of questions anymore, but I do hear them going off in my head as I read.
 
Perhaps, this is why I found myself stumbling all over Mt Carmel when I was reading about Elijah.  I am still trying to figure out those four jars of water that were filled three times and poured out around the altar prepared by the prophet.  I did notice that he used twelve stones to build the altar which was one stone for each tribe of Israel so I figured the same symbolism applied to those four jars of water filled three times.  The big question is from whence came the water.  Surely, there was not a stream flowing off the top of the mountain.  Such would have been too convenient.  Maybe Elijah brought the jars and God mysteriously provided the water like He did the meal and the oil for the widow of Zarephath.
 
There is probably some Biblical scholar who has this stuff all figured out, but it seem logical for me to simply say that one who seeks to figure God out is going to make a fool of himself.  God has a way of doing what He intends to do.  Sometimes He uses us to get His work done.  If we are uncooperative, He will find someone else.  And, He will do it His way.  I have been too hard headed at times as I tried to convince God I knew a better way.  Sometimes what He does makes sense and sometimes it is pure holy mystery.  I have learned to live with both. 

No comments: