Monday, December 18, 2017

The Tickle Prayer

In recent years I have discovered the devotional work of Phyllis Tickle who writes from the Episcopalian tradition.  One of the prayers she repeats again and again in her cycle of praying is one I often hear myself quietly praying as I lay waiting on sleep to come at night.  "Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night and grant Your angels charge over those who sleep.  Tend the sick, Lord Christ, give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous, and all for Your love's sake.  Amen."  For this novice in the disciplines of prayer, being guided by her in this prayer has been a new kind of spiritual experience for me.
 
For some reason, considering the presence or the ministry of angels has never really been something I have done through my faith journey.  And, here I am now, almost toward the end, praying that angels would watch over me and those I love while we sleep.  It has become a prayer which comes from such a deep place in my spirit that I am often surprised at the way the words affect me.  The prayer creates a mental image which goes beyond my thinking to something which settles in my heart.
 
I must confess to not understanding as much as some about angels and their work for God.  But, I know, too, understanding is not a requirement for receiving blessings of grace in my life.  In the Word I read about these ministering spirits sent by God to interact in the affairs of people like you and me.  For God to choose to do such a thing is certainly a gift of grace.  Put me down as one who grows more and more dependent on grace as I walk a little further in faith with God.  And, if angels are watching over me and those I love while sleep overcomes us, I am surely grateful for this assurance of the unexplainable grace of God. 

No comments: