Monday, December 25, 2017

Another Christmas Past

We call the night before Christmas Day, Christmas Eve.  I am not sure what to call the night that actually belongs to Christmas Day.  Perhaps, the appropriate name for the moment is Christmas Night.  If such is true, then Christmas Night has come and, thus, this Christmas Day belongs to the days known as Christmas Past.  Around here it has been a quiet day.  Small children waking before the sun are memories.  As the years have passed since those days, the Christmas rush has become noticeably slower.  Such is surely true for this day.

While it has been a day filled with a kind of calmness, it has also been one of peace and joy.  Of course, to say "peace and joy" in this season seems almost like saying the expected thing instead of something that has real meaning.  It has been a Christmas Day with time enough to spend portions of it reflecting on how life has been made different because of this Jesus whose coming for us earthly dwellers is celebrated today.  To think about a life without Christ is an impossibility.  While I have not always been the faithful follower I set out to be, He has always been the faithful Lord He promised to be back even before my beginning with Him.

Today I am grateful for this Jesus who directed my future when I was too young to realize how it was happening and who has brought me safely to a place in the journey of faith that I never could have imagined arriving when I started as a believer in Him.  The most important decision anyone of us makes in our life is the one we make concerning this Jesus who was born among us long ago in Bethlehem.  When I decided He was indeed Savior, I made a choice that was blessed by God with a lifetime of grace and mercy.  Those divine gifts given to this poor sinner have made all the difference.

No comments: