Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Lord's Shield

To read and pray the Psalms requires more of my attention than just a casual reading.  It is more of a moment of my spirit intersecting with the Holy Spirit than seems to occur when my intent and purpose is mere reading.  Today as I came to the 3rd Psalm, I see that the Psalmist's view of the work of the Lord transcends mine.  To read and pray inside the Spirit's inspired Word is like having someone open a never before opened window through which I can get a never before seen glimpse of God.
 
It happened for me as I came to the 3rd verse of the 3rd Psalm.  As David considers his foes and hears close-at-hand voices saying, "It is hopeless," he responds by praying, "But You, O Lord, are a shield around me."  Now David knew about shields.  He was a warrior King who had prevailed against a giant Philistine and threatening armies.  A warrior's shield only provided protection from a frontal attack.  However, David's vision of the Lord's protection enabled him to see a shield that went around him protecting him on every side.  It was not one of David's choice shields which he envisioned in his prayer, but one belonging to the Lord.  No wonder David finished his prayer with the words, "I am not afraid of ten thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around." (Ps.  3:6)  He knew he was safe.
 
So are we.  We are safe, not because of our security systems, but because of God.  When in trouble and in need of deliverance, most of us look too much at the source of our trouble and not enough at the Source of our safety.  The Holy One in whom David trusted for his sense of security and well-being is still trustworthy.  He is still able to put a shield around us enabling us to be one of those who is protected on every side.

No comments: