Thursday, July 28, 2016

Remember

All of us have had those moments of praying when it seemed that they never made it out of the room.  Certainly, we have offered those prayers we were sure no one, not even God, heard.  Others might sing, "God answers prayers in the morning...," but we would not likely not join in the singing, at least not with any conviction or enthusiasm.  We have been there.  But, we have also had those moments of praying when we were sure God was listening and caring and acting to help.  What we regarded as an answer to our prayer came speedily and in such a way there was no doubt God had provided the deliverance and help we needed.
 
However, what often happens after we take note of God's response to our prayers is something which borders on unthinkable.  We pray.  God responds.  And, we forget to say a simple, "Thank You."  Not so with the Psalmist.  In the early verses of the 28th Psalm, we hear him praying, "Hear the voice of my supplication, as I cry out to You for help..." (vs. 3)   And then later there comes words of confidence and thanksgiving as he prays, "The Lord is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts; so I am helped, and my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to Him."  (vs. 7)  Surely, we know our intercession is not complete until there is thanksgiving.

A gospel story which comes to mind is that story of the ten lepers who met Jesus on the road.  They asked not for healing.  Like many of us they simply cried out, "Jesus Master, have mercy on us."  (Luke 17:13)  We know how that story ends.  Those who did not ask for healing, but instead asked only for mercy found a wholeness never thought possible.  One returned with a grateful heart while the others went on their way like many of us.

No comments: