Tuesday, October 15, 2024

A Liturgical Wish

I have been a Methodist since I was baptized at age nine.  My history is connected to this denomination at almost every major moment.  I cannot say that I have ever seriously considered going to another brand of church although there are some things about others that truly resonate with my soul.  At age 76 I am not up to getting on another horse.  I not only am going to stay on the horse I have been riding all my years, but it is something I want to do.  I am a firm believer in the Wesleyan theology of the Methodist Church and would not replace it with any other tradition.   

Having said all this I would add there are some things I wish were different.  If I were at the beginning of my ministry instead of moving toward the end, I would make sure the churches I served had more Table gathering.  I am not talking about the Wednesday night fellowship variety of table gatherings, but the ones in which we gather to share in the meal of the bread and cup.  It has always seemed to me that the church as I have experienced it over the years has suffered a kind of spiritual impoverishment because of its hesitation to offer the Sacrament on a weekly basis instead of a monthly one, or as is the case in some places, quarterly.  

Perhaps, it would be true that it would not attract a large crowd, but as a clergy friend once told me about doing a Good Friday service even if no one shows up, "It is just important to do."  He was right.  We tend to measure a worship service's value according to the number who attend, but there are times for affirming that some acts of worship are important enough to offer whether or not the masses participate or not.  A few souls can be blessed as surely as a crowd of them.  Maybe we simply need to remember what Jesus said about two or three gathering in His name. 

No comments: