Monday, February 26, 2024

The Eternal Light

I am always taken in by moon risings.  As I pulled up to the farm the other night, the orange glow of the moon was pushing through the barren branches of the trees which separate the farm from the nearby cotton field.  Instead of getting out and getting in the house, I pulled the car over to the edge of of the hay field and watched its rise into the waiting night sky.  No matter how many times we behold such a glorious sight, it is always something that brings forth praise to God from our hearts.  

The ancient Celtic saints get a bum rap because they are associated with worshiping the moon.  What they worshiped was the glorious light which they saw and which pointed them to reverence and honor the eternal light.  It was the eternal light set forth in the prologue of John's gospel that they worshipped, not the moon itself.  Actually, when I see that great orange orb rising off the horizon's edge, I could raise my own hands in praise to God,  And, sometimes I even consider dancing in the light of this light which speaks of the eternal light of the Creator God.   

So, if you ride by the farm some moonlit night and see some old man out there with his hands in the air attempting to dance a joyous dance of praise, it might just be me.  I have never been one prone to demonstrative expressions of worship, but if it ever begins to happen, it is most likely to happen under the powerful influence of one of these full moon risings.  This light rising in the heavens is indeed a thing of wonder and awe, but then, what is truly worthy of awe and wonder is that this eternal Light of God shines in us, dwells in us, and makes clear the way unfolding before us.

No comments: