Monday, February 12, 2024

Enough!

I am weary of all the killing.  I am tired of people dying needlessly.  It continues to sicken me that children are suffering because the grown ups in their world cannot get along and choose to kill one another.  I am fed up with children becoming orphans at the end of the day.  Surely, there is someone out there with the power to do so who can say "Enough is enough!" so that the innocents can go back to living without fear of not being here tomorrow.  I no longer am interested in hearing political pundits speak the rhetoric of war and violence instead of the language of the heart.     

I suppose I will just have to live with this anguish which overwhelms me as I read of hundreds being killed today, or thousands yesterday, or just one a few hours ago.  War does not seem to be going out of style.  Violence taking the lives of others in streets and schools does not seem to be going away.  And children are still dying before they get a chance to breathe.  I am told some things have been with us since Cain and Abel, Isaac and Ishmael, Jesus and Pilate.  Maybe it is so.  Maybe killing is like poverty.  It is not going away.  At least, it does not seem to be going away in my lifetime.     

Jesus lived in a violent society controlled by power despots.  In the midst of it, He kept talking about and demonstrating love.  It was only when He carried that love to a cross that those who knew Him best started getting it.  Politicians are not going to save us.  Neither is the church.  Both the politicans and the church have too much invested to risk losing what is held too tightly.  Does that leave us with a collective voice filled with fed up and loving individuals who are willing to say. "Enough is enough!" And will that be enough to make a difference?  Is the love of which Jesus spoke really that powerful?  I fear we will never know.

No comments: