Thursday, November 2, 2023

Musicians

I have always believed that music had a powerful place in worship.  It can do what words cannot do.  It touches a place so deep that words often fail to penetrate.  And so, at one of my churches long years ago, I dared to do a brazen thing I should not have done.  But, I was young and lived with the idea I could do anything.  The church needed someone to help with the church choir.  I figured since I had one conducting course at Asbury College and had experience as a church secretary, janitor, youth worker, and Sunday School teacher, I could just add one more thing to my resume.     

The Talbotton Church was patient with my attempt to help, but at  best I was not even a good "get by."  Every place else I served I was blessed with very good musicians.  When I think back over the years I remember the many who led choirs, planned for music events, and played the piano and other instruments. My own ministry was enhanced by the way they lifted up Christ and invited people to be experience His holy presence as He made Himself known in our midst.  

I wish I could thank each one again for the way they partnered with me in ministry in so many ways.  There was a time when it was said that the music set the table for the preacher to preach and while I would never argue that music does indeed create an environment which enables the soul to be more responsive to the Word of God being preached, the music offered has a place all its own.  When I bombed out in the pulpit it was always reassuring to know that the music offered brought people in touch with the Christ which was why we were gathered in the first place.  I thank God for allowing us to serve Christ and I thank them, too.  Thanks to each one of you.

No comments: