Sunday, November 5, 2023

The Core Function

Churches come in all shapes and sizes.  There are more different signs out front than there are angels in heaven.  Some are so small they seem like family gatherings on Sunday morning and others are so large it takes several law enforcement officers present to get the thousand or so cars back on the road after the benediction.  Some survive on heavy doses of ritual and liturgy while others run from any semblance of liturgy as if a bag of snakes has been turned loose in the room.   

And while there are many different types of gatherings on any Sunday morning, there are a few things which cause me to leave thinking I would like to return.  One is good preaching.  Maybe it is the preacher in me, but I like a good sermon.  It does not have to be scholarly or long, but it does need to be one which lets a text speak.  And, I like good music that is stirring and makes me want to sing louder than I should. Of course, it is always good to have friendly people sitting with me in the sanctuary.  But, perhaps, most of all I want to leave feeling that I have worshiped God.    

There are surely other things which could be added to listings that others might make.  And, on some Sundays my list might be a bit longer.  I never have been too partial to glitz and bells and whistles as I have plain and simple when it comes to those Sunday gatherings.  What I know is that large or small, each can be a means of enabling people to come in contact and in relationship with the living Christ which is the core function of any church.

No comments: