Monday, August 28, 2023

The Shimmering Word

In the morning as the sun brings light to the new day, I often sit in a chair facing an open door and watch what God is doing with the wonderful part of creation He has put on the other side of my front door.  Sometimes there is a breeze which stirs the green branches of the pecan tree and sometimes there is such a stillness in the hanging green foliage that it is hard to believe such sheer stillness and silence is possible.  This morning was one of those mornings when it seemed the gentle hand of the Spirit was stirring not only the large green tree outside the front door, but also the stilled heart which was being awakened within me.  

Some time ago I found myself instructed by an author to look for what shimmers.  It seemed strange at first and then when I opened myself up to explore the possibilities inherent within the image, I began to see things that shimmered in such a way that they demanded the attention not of my eyes, but of my heart and spirit.  This morning as I began to sense being a part of what God was doing outside the door, a Word from the pages in my lap shimmered and seeped into my soul.  From the prophet Isaiah came the words, "For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but My steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion for you."  (Isaiah 54:19)  It is such a wonderful blessing to be unconditionally loved by God.  

It may be that some of the most precious relationships of our life point us toward that kind of love, but no matter how rich and powerful is that love which holds us to one another, it still pales in comparision to the unfathomable love of the One who created us.  I am surely amazed that He not only loved me, but continues to love me.  And, I am ever grateful for a word like this shimmering word this morning which came in the stillness to speak to me of its unending and eternal nature.  Thanks be to God for a goodness that comes not according to what I deserve, but comes according to divine grace!

No comments: