Friday, August 4, 2023

Susanna's Kin

John Wesley stands as an important historical figure in the life of the Methodist movement.  And what must not be forgotten is that there are those denominations other than the ones bearing the name Methodist which are deeply indebted to him.  The Wesleyan churches have many signs out front.  And while Wesley stands in the spotlight on the stage of church history, his mother, Susanna, should be standing there alongside him for no one shaped this man any more than did his mother.  She was his spiritual mentor and his model for faithful living.    

Many of us have those kinds of mothers.  Certainly, it is  true that all mothers are not models for faitihful living, but those of us who have memories of such a woman in our lives count ourselves as those who are blessed.  When I think of my mother, I am always amazed at her steadfast faith in Christ.  I cannot remember her when this dimension of her life was not evident.  She made sure my sister and I were in church in those years when my father wanted nothing to do with the church.  She knelt by my bed at night and prayed with me.  And, there was never a time in my spiritual journey when she was not standing in the shadows as one who prayed for me.   

The  church may be an important place for religious instruction and spiritual nurture to take place, but it must begin in the home. If our children are to be the beneficiaries of the power of prayer, it must begin in the home.  If the young ones entrusted to our care are going to learn what it means to live a life of faithfulness to God, they will not be looking first to their preacher, but to their mothers and fathers.  In my home where my father came to faith in Christ very late in life, it was my mother who stood and kneeled to lead me toward faith.  She, and hopefully your mother, and Susanna Wesley are all kin and are spiritual giants who lingered in the shadows to point us toward our eternal Home. 

No comments: