Thursday, August 24, 2023

The One Book

Recently I purchased a new, though slighty used bookshelf from one of those ministries which converts donated stuff into services for those in need.  So many of my books were packed up when I moved to the farm because the small home we built did not have room for an office, or a lot of books. With the added bookshelf I brought in a box and unpacked the books.  It was a box marked "Commentaries" but to my surprise, I found two books by an old friend.  Of course, I digress with a hyberbole since I never even met Henri Nouwen.  Reading his books puts him in an old friend group.  Anyone who reads, understands.    

Both books I read in the years of ministry.  One is entitled "The Wounded Healer"  and the other, "The Return of the Prodigal Son."  The first is directed toward the spiritual leader and is a call to ministering to the suffering in the world by recognizing first our own personal suffering.  And the second is a wonderful reflection of the several movements of the father and his sons in that parable which holds so much insight about living with others and living with God.  As I put them in a visible place on the shelf, my only question has to do with which one I will re-read first.     

Anyone who knows anything about me knows most books get read more than once.  Maybe it has to do with wanting to get my money's worth, but it is really that so many of the good books have more than can be digested the first time it is served.  It is obvious that God sees writings as important gifts to those of us who are seeking His unfolding plans.  Of all the writings we have, the Scripture is, of course, the most precious gift as it "is inspired by God."  (II Timothy 3:16)   To speak of the Word being inspired is to declare that the Holy Spirit has breathed and is breathing His life into it.   And though many of our old friends were inspired by the Spirit to write the words we read in their books, there is no writing other than the Holy Scripture which is worthy of being the one book we need on our bookshelves and in our heart.

No comments: