Wednesday, June 7, 2023

The Old Fence

I knew that old pasture fence which was taken down as the new fencing went up was worth saving.  When it was rolled up and put in the barn, I was not sure how it would be used, but I knew it would find a purpose.  Today it found that unknown purpose.  As the blueberry patch started ripening, the roaming chickens suddenly started showing interest.  I like blueberries.  I feed the chickens laying mash and I have no desire for them to eat blueberries for desert.  So, I took a roll of that stored used pasture fence and put up a temporary fence around the blueberry patch.  The chickens did not like it, but it sure did look good to me as I started picking those berries.    

I have discovered around here that farmers are notorious for saving any and everything.  You just never know when what seems to be junk might be needed.   I remember years ago while in Vidalia a couple of pieces of property next to the church went on the for sale market.  The church made a decision to buy the property even though we did not know what we were going to do with it.  You could say it that it was bought and put in the barn for a day it might be needed.  There did come a day when it became something none of us back then could have envisioned.  On that land now stands a vital day school for children and a thrift store.  Both serve the community in the name of Christ in different ways.   

When I go by that church now I am reminded that God saw something in that church's future we could not see.  Thankfully, we dared to buy into a future that we could not see.  The Spirit of God is not a timid breathing Spirit, but One who is bold and who leads His people to be bold in taking risk for His sake.  When a moment filled with what seems to be an irrational choice presents itself as a part of our faith walk, we might want to pray a little longer just to be sure we are not being afraid to walk where the bold Spirit is walking to lead us.  

No comments: