Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Birthday Musings

Counting years must be important.  Genesis tells us the story of many of God's faithful and always their story ends with a notation about the number of years lived.  Today I count 75.  The day was marked with a moment of coming home after a week long road trip with one of my grandsons to see my sister in Texas.  While it does not sound like much of a party, I counted the arrival as a wonderful gift.  It was coming to the one place in the world where I know what it is to belong.  It was coming to a place which God has used this past thirteen years to bring me to a new awareness of how He is present in my life and in the world.    

It also brought me to place which until so very recently was shared by my wife of 53 years.  A few months ago her spirit was taken from a failing body and brought into another place that was prepared for her.  The counting of her days on this earth are done and mine have not yet been finished.  What none of us know is the number of years that will be granted to us.  Her days in this place are done and I still have days in which I shall call this place home.    

Like the counted years, places are important in the Biblical story, too.  All those men and women of God whose life story was told and whose years were numbered were always associated with a place.  They did not just roam and meander .  They had a home.  They had a place on this earth where their lives were to be lived.  They had a place where they belonged.  Today as I saw the front porch filling up the front window of the car, I was grateful for this place which is my home.  And tonight as I find myself between my 75th year in this place and the eternal place Christ has promised to prepare for me, I am grateful for what is here around me and for what is still to come.  

No comments: