Friday, June 23, 2023

Messed Up Plans

Sometimes our plans just do not work out.  I can remember times when I tried to make something work out which seemed to have a mind of its own about cooperating.  I went to one church planning to help the church build a building that ended up being built two pastors later.  I remember numerous journeys that got delayed by road construction, or storms, or taking the wrong turn.  Such smaller moments should not surprise us since life itself seems full of plans that do not work out as we figured they should work.   

What we often forget about our delayed journeys is that the arriving is not as important as the going.  Life teaches us on the big stage of life that the important part is not the destination, but the journey.  When we live contrary to that truth we end up getting wrapped up in ourselves and unable to see the who and the what of the present.  It is always true that present is where life is lived and where God is experienced.    

A memory that is often recalled involves a time some fifty years ago when what I had planned to do got messed up by a snowstorm.  I ignored both the storm and the awareness that God had something else He wanted me to do.  I have always wondered what I missed.  I have always wondered what God had in mind that I chose to ignore.  When plans go awry as they do often, it is always good to take a deep breath and accept the reality that our plan might be Plan B instead of Plan A which exists in the heart and will of God.

No comments: