Wednesday, September 28, 2022

The Next Time

"Lord, I know I let you down today.  Like Peter in the courtyard, I let you down.  I came out of that food place and saw their Florida tags right away.  She was wrestling a young boy out of a back seat car seat and he was walking the dog.  Both appeared ragged and worn.  "I guess ya'll are getting away from the hurricane," I said.  They told me they lived in Ft. Myers and were going to their family up near Augusta.  But, Lord, You know all this.  And, You know what I did and didn't do as well.  I said the usual caring words.  I did the minimum.  I should have asked for permission to pray for them there in the parking lot.  I should have walked in the eatery with then and paid for their meal.  What I should have done is not what I did, Lord.  I know I let you down.  I could have been your heart in that place and I was not paying attention.  I was in a hurry for some reason.  I did pray for them during the day after we parted ways as You know, but I could have done so much more to let them know I cared about what was happening to them.  Maybe I don't care enough.  Anyway, Lord, I messed up today.  I could ask for another moment to do different.  I could promise to do differently next time.  And maybe I would.  But, then You know me.  Maybe I would do the same thing again.  I hope not, but I know me and I know You know me.  Forgive me, Lord.  Keep hanging in there with me.  Keep sending strangers and people in need my way.  Maybe I will get it right next time.  Amen."

No comments: