Monday, September 5, 2022

Quartet Memories

Back in the church era when doors remained unlocked during the week, I was racing through high school  and figuring on being a gospel quartet singer.  Well,perhaps, I exaggerate.  The guys with whom I tended to hang out often went to the church and in the manner of the Blackwood Brothers sang old gospel songs.  One of our group was a musician and played the organ on Sunday Morning so we were fixed to become famous.  All we needed were good voices.   

Alas, we never made the status of the traveling quartet groups, but we had a good time and it helped us stay out of trouble.  One of the songs we would often sing had a chorus which had the words, "Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand, but I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand."  I am grateful for the influence of those friends, appreciative of the way the songs took root in my life, and the way that even today, the memory of those songs provide help in difficult days.    Some things are worth remembering.  

The words of this gospel song are worth remembering.  It is a good reminder for all of us since we all run into moments when it seems that life is racing out of control and about to crash.  But, what we can know is that God sees ahead, cares about us as we go, and is always close at hand.  He is not God who is somewhere out there, but One who stays close enough to hold our hand.  

No comments: