Monday, July 4, 2022

God Bless America

Back in December of 1955 not too far from Panama City, Florida there was a mid air collision between two Air Force planes.  Ten men died.  One of them was my father.  It left a seven year old boy with a hole which could never be filled, a book full of questions that had no answers, and a few things that passed from his hands to mine.  One of those things which I came to treasure over the years and still have in my possession is a small pocket size copy of the New Testament and Psalms.  It was given to him during the war which sent a country boy from Ware County, Georgia to Guam and places beyond.    

In the back of that New Testament were the lyrics to patriotic songs.  "My Country 'Tis of Thee" and "America the Beautiful" are a couple of examples.  I do not know if my Father read the words and sang them, but I did.  Many times.  One of the other things I took away from those days was a patriotism that still prevails in my spirit.  Some of those songs still put a lump in my throat when I try singing them.  I am grateful for men like my father and many of yours who served our country and in some cases gave their lives in that service.     

The 4th of July is a day to remember the blessings which are ours.  The blessings we count and often take for granted come to us at great cost.  In a day in which it seems politically correct to demean America, I declare myself one who values life in this place and is thankful beyond measure that I was born in this land.  I love to sing "God Bless America."  I will be singing it today, not just as a song, but also as a prayer for a troubled land.   

No comments: