Friday, July 8, 2022

Contentment

Like a traveler with his mind on arriving at some destination, so I have journeyed through these years of my life.  There was always something to be seen in the front window as I rushed along my way.  It never occurred to me that I had arrived simply by being on the journey.  I could not be content with where I was because of my obsession with where I was going.  Contentment was something which always seemed to be as illusive as the mother lode which kept the California gold miners panning one more stream.   

Too many of us have never learned the secret shared by the Apostle Paul when he wrote, "...I have learned to be content with whatever I have."  (Philippians 4:11)  The subject of our discontentment is usually other centered.  Our colleague has the better job.  Our friend has more friends.  Other people are happier and live lives that our obviously better.  It is not that we do not have some of what others have in our hands, we just do not seem to have as much, or what we have seems to somehow be an inferior product compared to what others hold.  

Discontentment seems to come from looking at others instead of looking toward God.  It comes from a heart where forced gratitude abides instead of the kind of gratitude which pours forth from a spontaneous fountain.  As the Apostle elaborates on his contentment, he declares it to be a spirit or attitude not based on any external factor, but one which came from a life of knowing with confidence that what is needed will be provided in a way that will strengthen both body and soul.  As the Apostle said, "I can do all things through Him  who strengthens me."  (Philippians 4:14)

No comments: