Friday, May 27, 2022

Stand Alongside

In the early days of ministry one of the most dreaded and frightening things was to be called into a situation where some unspeakable event had happened and there were no words to offer.  As the years turned into decades I discovered that the dread of going into those situations with folks did not change.  The coming again of such a moment did not make me more comfortable in going.  There were times I must confess to not wanting to go because the tragedy was so great and the darkness so overwhelming.   

Back in the days of being called to ministry, I thought mostly about being called to preach without giving much consideration to the other things I would be called to do as I wore the title of the local Reverend.  Had I been able to know what was ahead, I might well have been even more reluctant to say "yes."  I can never forget that day in Columbus when the telephone rang telling me that a young couple in the church had lost their first child at the moment of birth.  I have no memories of what I said, or how I might have prayed, only that I went praying as I drove those miles to the hospital.  It has been such a long time, but to this day I remember their names and often wonder where their lives took them.   

All of have memories of such times.  We remember going to be with friends and family as they wept bitter tears of uncertainty and grief.  And, as we remember we may also remember those times when the tears were ours and the others were the ones who came to be near to us, to hold us, to cry with us, and to stand alongside of us.  Some times there is nothing more we can do than to stand alongside.  I have often been comforted by the definition of the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, as the One who stands alongside of us to comfort and bring us through to tomorrow.  As He stands with us, so are we often called to stand with one another    

No comments: