Monday, October 4, 2021

The Slip Clutch

During the last several days I have been struggling with a bush hog.  For those who might be scratching their heads or searching some internet site for animal identification, my bush hog is a glorified six foot wide rotary mower which is pulled behind the tractor.  As the name would indicate it is a bit tougher than a lawn mower as it not only cuts grass, but heavy brush growing along the edge of the fence line.  The problem was friction pads which needed replacing in the slip clutch.     

Life has really changed for this old worn out preacher.  A few years ago I had never sat on a tractor, had never heard of a slip clutch, and certainly could not have imagined breaking one down in an effort to get it running again.  The road forward take us to strange and surprising places.  The farm has not only changed my daily activities, but it has also changed the way I see the world as well as the way I experience the presence of the holy in my life.  As one who has always turned to the Sacred Book for a Word from God, listening for that same voice in the creation has become an unexpected and surprising source of divine revelation.  And in the same way, as I see strange folks walking along the way with me, I find myself often thinking, "The essence of God is in that one."    

The world in which we live certainly provides for us a lot of bumps and dark places, but it is also filled with the possibility of experiencing the divine presence in every moment and in everything.  Even as I could not see myself working on a slip clutch a few years ago, neither could I see myself coming to a place where what had always been viewed as sacred and profane was now holy.  Reflection seems to be saying that God is still working to bring me to a place of greater understanding as well as a new and deeper relationship with Him.  And, so like you, I wait and see with expectation as I look ahead.   

No comments: