Sunday, October 10, 2021

The Afternoon Song

From far above he sang
     the song birds sing, 
       lustily he belted it out
         while down below
I listened in my darkness.

Listening and wishing 
      I had such a song, 
        alas, there was none,
          only self pity
and not much more.

Hearing the unspoken, 
    high above he spoke, 
      "Have you no food?"
          "I have plenty,
the pantry is full."

"Have you no roof?"
    "Of course, I do.'
        "Are you not loved?"
            "More than deserved,"
came forth from within.

"Are you not His?"
    "You mean the Creator's?"
        "Is there another
            who loves you
provides and cares?"

Without another note, 
      he flew out of sight,
        his message lingered
          turning self pity
into the deepest gratitude.  

No comments: