Saturday, May 8, 2021

Our Spiritual Legacy

I grew up in a tradition of wearing a red flower on Mother's Day if your Mother was living and a white one if she was no longer present on this earth.  Tomorrow will be my second year in the white flower group.  Growing up it seems like our parents will always be with us, but, of course, we know such is not true.  My father died when I was seven years old which left a indelible mark on my spirit and my mother lived long enough to see her son reach seventy years of age.     

Not everyone is blessed with good parents.  To have such a blessing is a blessing beyond measure.  It was my mother who was the parent of strong faith.  My father came to be a believer, but it was only in the last year of his life.  On the other hand, my mother taught me to pray, taught me to be thankful, and showed me in numerous ways what it meant to serve others.  She made sure the church was an important part of my life and even when I came home from college announcing that I would be taking a Sunday off, she would have none of it.    

Godly parents are blessings.  When we pause to reflect, we realize how much our faith is built on theirs.  The Apostle Paul wrote to young Timothy, "I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that first lived in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you."  (II Timothy 1:5)   As we remember with gratitude this blessing, may we also pray that such a spiritual legacy continues in us.   

No comments: