Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Evening Praise

As I was taking the golf cart to its overnight home, I saw those four long necks waving through the hay field.  Two pairs of Canadian Geese have been using the hay field as an exercise pen for their eight or ten young geese.  The young ones are almost too small to see in the knee deep grass and waddle to get where they are going instead of flying.  It was obvious these older geese knew the ropes of parenthood.  Instead of flying and leaving the young ones when I approached, they started walking fast to lead them out of danger.     

This evening they all headed down the road toward the nearby pond.  As I watched them go, I noticed a young goose circling around in the grass as it had lost its way.  I drove over with the golf cart and gave it encouragement to head down the hill behind the others.  Away it went.  Waddling so much it seemed to cover up both ruts of the two lane road leading down to the safety of the pond.  I watched until it reached the edge of the pond and the moma goose sent a scolding cry across the water.     

I am grateful for the blessing of living these years so immersed in the creation.  Each day is like living midst a great baptismal flood that connects me to the creation and the Creator.  I am grateful for the walking awareness of my connection to both creation and Creator.  As I turned to head away from the geese, I heard myself singing a chorus, "All creatures great and small, the Lord God made them all.  Hallelujah!  Hallelujah! Hallelujah!"   Evening praise.  Join in singing the chorus as you read so the music becomes not a solo, but a kind of choral offering to our Creator God.  

No comments: