Friday, September 4, 2020

Be Remembered

Before my father died just before my seventh Christmas, an encyclopedia salesman showed up at our door and before he left the family had three different sets of books.  One was a general subject set, another based on geography, and the third dealt with science.  They were books I devoured.  When I think of my life long interest in learning, I know I am indebted to him.  Five years after his death my mother re-married a man who brought music into our home.  Albums of the great hymns of the church and the classical sounds of great composers filled our home.  And, so I am indebted to still another man for putting appreciation for music in my life. 

It is always interesting to remember how we remember those who have significantly touched our lives.  So often the things remembered would be surprising to the one who lived among us and blessed us by their gift of influence.  Most of us will not be remembered for great things which will be recorded in books, but by the things which are done naturally and without any real expectation of any kind of visible reward. 

What ends up making the most difference is the way we live our lives.  What ends up making a difference is the way we plant seeds in the world and in the lives of those we love.  Most of the time we never even know what we have done, or what we are doing, will result in changing the life of another.  Maybe living so that others around us are pointed forward is what the Word means when it says, "Be careful then how you live, not as unwise people, but as wise, making the most of the time..."
(Ephesians 5:15-16).

No comments: