Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Worn Out Shoes

There was a time when it seemed like the road forward with Jesus was more direct than it seems in these last days.  Point B used to seem just beyond Point A and it was clear how to reach it.  Reaching it usually involved a plan and some effort, but it was something which could be managed.   The journey involved a lot of external stuff like worship, spiritual disciplines, and the insight of some popular trendy author who had figured it out and was letting everyone else know how to do it. 
 
Somewhere along the way, the road of faith got a little more muddled and confused.  And, the straight way slowly became one with more twists and turns than ever I thought were possible back in the beginning days.  This awareness of a different sort of journey tends to create a need to live with a greater sense of trust in Christ to lead on this road which stretches beyond the ability to see where it is going.  It has become a journey without a clear and guaranteed destination.  It has become a journey to wherever. 

What was not so clear when the first steps of faith were being taken was the truth that my plans did not count.  I  have come to the uncomfortable awareness that what I map out for the journey might not be in sync with what Christ had in mind when He put forth the call to follow.  One of the sure things I have learned in these days of walking with Christ is the reality that I do not know where I am going.  But, I do know Who has gone with me in days past, Who is walking with me now, and Who will be walking with me when my shoes are too worn out to walk anymore!

No comments: