Monday, January 20, 2020

A Seamless Reflection

This morning while reading from the book of Hebrews, I came across a Word in which the writer described Jesus as "the reflection of God's glory..."  (Hebrews 1:3)  All day long I have carried this image with me.  It has caused much thinking, and meditating, and reflection.  Or, to use the language of the farm, as I was ruminating about the image of the writer, I thought about a picture of a colorful fall mountain scene being perfectly reflected in a lake beside it.  So perfect was the reflection, it was difficult to tell where the tree line ended and the water began.
 
I confess to not being able to understand completely this powerful image which speaks of Jesus being the reflection of God's glory, but as I thought about the seamless quality of the picture of landscape being reflected in the water of a lake, the more it seemed that it would be impossible to separate the object of the reflection from the object.  It is impossible to separate the Father from the Son.  Theirs is a seamless existence which enabled the Son on the earth to accurately enable those who followed Him to see the Father.  It is as the Son Himself said, "...Whoever has seen Me has seen the Father." (John 14:9)

This old preacher is little more than a theological novice.  Understanding how God appeared on earth in the form of the Son even as God dwelled in the heavenly eternal place to be spoken to as Father by the Son is more than mindboggling.  Maybe it is all clear to some, but there is too much mystery for this one who has preached the gospel for only forty years.  The longer I ponder the Word, the more I find myself saying, "I do not know...I cannot understand."   But, then living in such a place is where my faith journey has finally brought me. 

No comments: