Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Walking on New Ground

It is no secret that I sometimes read a book a second time.  Actually, I have been known to read a really good book many times more than just twice.  Recently, I have been meandering through "The Celtic Way of Prayer" by Esther De Waal.  Within its pages are many Celtic prayers and blessings which have created a new liturgy for me.  These prayers and blessings are different from some of the liturgical things I have read over the years as they employ simplicity and repetition in a rhythmic form which lends itself to carrying it with you through the day. 
 
When I came to last page and paragraph of the book, I found this word about those blessings and prayers.  "They do not beg or ask God to give this or that .  Instead, they recognize what is already there, already given, waiting to be seen, to be taken up, enjoyed.  What a waste to go through life surrounded by all the good gifts that God showers on me, 'gently and generously" yet blind and deaf to His presence hidden in all things, human and nonhuman. As I learn not to take for granted, to wonder anew, I find that a constant attitude of gratitude is life-giving."
 
Ever so slowly I am beginning to learn that there are good gifts from God hidden in all things.  Some of those things may be as majestic as a glorious sunset, but surely there are also some hidden in the dark threatening storms that race across the horizon as well as those that invade the sense of well being that we seek in our living.  The Apostle Paul spoke of being thankful in everything.  I am not yet at the same place as he obviously lived, but there are days when these Celtic blessings open doors for me to that lifestyle of thanksgiving, enabling me to walk on new ground.

No comments: