Saturday, January 19, 2019

The Mysterious Conversation

When we ask someone we meet how things are going, we are likely to get something like, "Fine."  And, if anyone is a student of social media, it becomes obvious that everyone is having a great life with wonderful loving family gatherings, exciting cruises, and positive things pouring over them from head to toe.  It is no real secret that there are a lot of people out there who are in love with untruths about their lives.  Or, maybe they are in love with what they wish was true for their lives.
 
The thing is we are mostly content with the responses we are getting in our casual hurried conversations.  Some weeks ago I remember asking someone I met how things were going and found myself a captive to his report of his life over the last six months.  I confess I stopped listening before he finished and was constantly looking for the pause which said, "Exit."  It is true that a lot of folks have some tough stuff going on in their lives and most of us do not really want to know about it.  We would rather not hear because we have our own stuff and we do not see ourselves as one who has the time to listen to someone lament about life very long.
 
I have noticed one thing about my praying.  Sometimes I really unload a lot of the stuff of my life.  It is mostly more than anyone, even God, wants to hear, but I have never walked away from a moment of prayer feeling like Someone was hurrying me out of the door.  Instead, He listens with patience and understanding.  He does not beat up on me for my failure to see the obvious, or chastise me for wanting to know what is too filled with mystery for human understanding.  The Word He has provided for me and you encourages us to enter into this mysterious conversation called prayer and whenever we do, He is a present listener and helper. 

No comments: