Wednesday, March 7, 2018

The New Silence

Since retirement I have been experiencing life out of the office and on a small farm.  I have moved from looking at the daily calendar to looking at the seasons and the weather day to day.  I have become aware that there is not as much noise in my life as there used to be.  Actually, I have become aware that there is a new silence all around me.  It is not an absolute silence, but it is a quietness never before heard.
 
In the new quietness I find myself taking note of things to which I had never really paid attention.  When an airplane drones overhead, I stop and look for it.  I hear birds singing as well the crows announcing their presence.  I hear the two wind chimes we have hanging on pecan trees.  I know the sound of grass being torn as the cows allow me to stand alongside of them while they are grazing.  I know the sound of the dog's feet as she runs behind me to catch up.  When I hear the sound of chickens cackling, I now know what that fuss is all about.  And whenever a car comes slowly up the dirt road, I hear the sounds of tires on dirt long before I hear the roar of the engine.
 
I am beginning to understand the reason why silence and quietness is a necessary thing in our spiritual life.  We need a moment for hearing the things never before heard.  We need to learn to pay attention to what might be heard that we have been missing because of our hurrying lifestyle.  I am convinced that God is in our quietness.  He rambles about in the silence.  In the quiet silence, He seeks to be heard.  "Lord, give me ears to hear.  Amen."

No comments: