Friday, March 23, 2018

Re-Thinking

When I was doing the work of a pastor and preacher, it was easy to see myself as one who was in a partnership with God.  When retirement came and life on a farm became the norm, everything seemed different.  While the call to ministry was not just for a certain number of years to be turned off at a certain point, it took some time to learn to see myself as one who was still a partner.  The other day when the last cow came out of the chute after her meeting with the local cow guru who did the A-I work (Artificial Insemination), I had an unexpected moment of affirmation as one still in that partnership which has been a part of my life for all these years.
 
What I have experienced here on the farm is a different kind of partnership.  As the cow left the chute, I somehow felt like one who had a hand in God's work of creating new life.  There have been other times when a crop of pecans was gathered, or a field of hay was baled and I sensed that I was a partner with God in caring for the earth.  What I have learned is that a farm is a great place for sensing that what I do is partnership work with the One who called me to such a life way back when I was too young to understand what was ahead.
 
All of who trust in God and seek to live according to His plan for us are partners with Him.  We partner in doing such things as feeding the hungry, offering care to the sick, being responsible for the physical stuff entrusted to us, and even the nitty gritty work of family life.  None of us, no matter what our station and position, are outside the realm of living as a partner with God entrusted with doing some stuff which is important to Him.

No comments: