Friday, May 5, 2023

Along the Way

When I was ordained into the ministry of the United Methodist Church back in 1971, I,  along with the others who were ordained, chose a life of going to "know-not-where."  The church I would serve would always be determined by the appointment of the Bishop.  There were times I thought he had surely lost his mind sending me to a particular church, but according to the ordaination covenant, I went where sent.  I do remember on one occasion of being given a choice of going to a church which was going to be a start up church, or one which would be a challenge.  I took the one labeled challenge and learned that he meant what he said.    

When I arrived at that church, it was in a bad state.  A number of folks had left for what looked like greener pastures and many of those who remained were waiting on one or two more to leave before joining them.  On one of my early visits I was told by a discerning spirit, "This church doesn't need a preacher, it needs a savior and you better be it."  Should I say I felt a little scared and a lot of pressure?  Had I not been a young pastor who figured he could save the world, I surely would have packed up my bags and turned in those ordination papers.   

And, it was a challenge.  But, the Spirit began to work and those of who who were there joined Him and it was nine years before I left that neighborhood church on a busy corner in Columbus, Georgia.  A church that was struggling to survive was at that point thriving with new life.  One of the lessons learned from those years at St. John was one about not giving up, but perserving.  Another was that sometimes the best thing any church can do is to let the Spirit do what only He can do.  And, finally, I learned the value of people standing alongside one another in ministry. It is never about what one person can do, but what can be done when we stand alongside one another trusting in the Holy Spirit who is always standing alongside of us.  

No comments: