Thursday, June 23, 2022

Hanging On

When I went to the St. John Church in Columbus a long time ago, it was a depressing place.  Attendance was down.  The financial situation was so dire the preacher was not getting paid on time.  People were waiting for one more family to leave as if it would get them permission to go as well.  One of the members told me as we got acquainted, "This church does not need a preacher, it needs a Savior!"  I felt bad because all she had in me was a preacher and one still young and green.    

But, what happened was that the church decided with the pastoral change to give it one more chance to grow.  Folks decided to go to work together.  The Spirit apparently was not yet done with the church since He started blessing the efforts and prayers of so many.  As I was leaving nine years later, we were finishing up a new fellowship hall and educational space.  More than can be remembered happened in those Spirit blessed year and I have always been grateful to have been a part of them.   

I remember those days when I see a church struggling and ready to give up.  Even in the most difficult of circumstances, the Holy Spirit can work and accomplish what seems impossible and beyond common sense.  Many a church that has learned the art of hanging on a little longer has discovered the way forward.  Giving up too soon is never a good thing.  Until the prayers have saturated the altar and the Spirit has been given ample time to work, folks should hang on because we never know what miracle might fall upon the church from the Father in Heaven.  

No comments: