Sunday, March 28, 2021

The Unfolding Call

Some thing we can never really see coming.  When I started writing JourneyNotes back in 2008, I saw it as another means of staying in touch with the congregation entrusted to me.  The congregation is now hardly visible in the rear view mirror.  Back then preaching was my primary means of sharing the gospel and enabling people in their spiritual journey.  It has been almost six years now since I have stood behind the pulpit.  What could not have been figured on back in those days was the way faith speaking would become written instead of verbal.    

Life is full of changes.  It is also true that the way God makes use of us changes as well.  When I signed on for the preaching ministry as a young man, it seemed like it would be something I would do until the grave.  I have found out differently.  In these days it seems that the God who called me to preach long ago has taken me to a different place.  I find myself living in that place with no regrets and no questions about not being faithful to the call of God.    

What is discovered in all our journeys is that God is the One who is in charge.  Faithfulness to Him is the real issue.  The issue is never about doing a single thing, but simply being open to wherever and whatever He is unfolding for us in our future.  After all, the future of our lives is His just as has been all that is past and all that is present.  To live with an attitude of faithfulness to His unfolding nature is what His call is all about.  

No comments: