Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Dumb as Dirt

The electric fence charger that keeps the critters out of the garden went on the fritz and needed replacing.  When I went to buy the replacement I was told by the manager, "Mr. CEO discontinued all electric fence supplies."  When I asked the rationale, I was told, "It is inhumane."  As the surprise and disbelief settled over me, I blurted out, "That is dumb as dirt!"     

After I walked out shaking my head, I found myself feeling some regret for what I had said.  I thought about going back and hunting up the manager, but decided against it.  I should not have said that dirt was dumb.  Dirt is not dumb, it is holy.  I felt like I had profaned with my language something I knew to be holy.  It was not the manager I needed to seek, but the Creator.     

I knew better.  There is nothing dumb about dirt.  It is the means by which the Creator has chosen to sustain life.   The garden which requires the electric fence is an expression of a partnership with the Creator in this creative process which He put in place in the beginning.  Every handful of the dirt around here and everywhere bears the imprint of His hand.  It is not dumb.  I was terribly wrong.  Dirt is not dumb.  It is creative.  And, it is holy.  

No comments: