Monday, July 15, 2019

The Mystery of Prayer

I have always been impressed by those prayer stories of folks who were awaken in the midst of their sleep, or called apart during the day to intercede for someone in a distant place.  If I had only heard or read of one such story, I might dismiss it as the creation of someone's imagination, but there have been too many testimonies of such happening to disregard the reality of God being at work through prayer.  Surely, it is true that God can do what God wants to do without the praying of some soul left wondering what just happened.
 
It is one of the mysteries of our faith walk with Christ.  The only thing we can really say with certainty is that God apparently chooses to involve us in what He is about in the lives of other people. And, another thing which has been proven true is that our prayers seem like tools God uses to accomplish His purposes.  Could He accomplish His purposes without our praying?  Most likely He could, but it also seems that He chooses to bring us into a kind of partnership with Him which is in itself a truly amazing thing to consider.

So, I will continue doing as I have always done and others have done and are doing as well.  To pray is to engage in a spiritual discipline which does not always provide for us eyes to see its effects or power.  Instead, it is one of things we do with a full measure of faith.  I would rather stand alongside the witnesses of powerful intercessory prayers in Scripture and those not so ancient saints who have proven themselves to be faithful in prayer.  If I can choose my company, I would rather walk where these have walked and prayed. 

No comments: